If you own a home with us, we may provide your buildings insurance through our insurer Zurich Municipal. You can find out if you're insured by looking at your lease or contract.

Insurance features and benefits

Our buildings insurance protects your home against events such as:

  • fire
  • storm
  • flooding and escape of water
  • falling trees
  • malicious damage
  • riot
  • theft
  • subsidence
  • accidental damage

The policy also covers damage to outbuildings, garages, walls, fences, drives, paths and service pipes.

How to make a claim

Download and print the 'buildings insurance claim form' from this page. Alternatively, you can call us on 01772 667002 to request a claim form. Return your completed form to:

The Insurance Team
Places for People
4 The Pavilions
Port Way

Send your form within 30 days of the date of the incident to comply with the policy condition. Always remember to report a theft or malicious damage to the police, taking a note of the crime reference number. The insurance company will need this to process your claim.

A basic guide to your policy cover and claims procedure

Your policy covers your main residence including conservatories, outbuildings, yards and forecourts, fixtures and fittings, garages, walls, gates, fences, piping, ducting, cables, wires and public mains for which you’re responsible. Remember, this isn’t a contents policy, so you’re responsible for arranging your own contents cover for such items as kitchen appliances, carpets and personal belongings.

Your policy covers you for a range of events or perils. Please see your Summary of Cover for full details.

Most claims are subject to a policy excess. You can find details of this in your Summary of Cover. The main exclusions are noted in the Summary of Cover, but bear in mind that the policy doesn’t cover wear and tear, general maintenance matters, poor workmanship, and storm damage to fences and gates. Like all other insurance, the policy is subject to general conditions and exclusions. Again, please see your Summary of Cover.

You need to take reasonable precautions to prevent or minimize any damage or liability which might result in a claim. This includes maintaining your property, ensuring you’ve lagged pipes and tanks to prevent freezing, if you’re responsible for this, and that you’ve locked doors and windows when you’re property is empty. You should also ensure work undertaken in the property is of an acceptable standard. To prevent serious fire claims, and for your own safety, consider installing a smoke detector. To minimize damage by water escape, identify where your stopcock is and make sure you can operate it easily.

Step 1 Download and print the claim form or contact Places for People Contact Centre on 0845 850 9571 to request a copy.

Step 2 Return the form to the Insurance Team, 4 The Pavilions, Port Way, Preston, PR2 2YB. If your property is uninhabitable following a serious loss such as fire, insurers will consider the costs of reasonable alternative accommodation.

Just call our emergency helpline on 0800 028 0336 or 0800 028 0338. You can use this if you’ve suffered significant damage, for example, from a storm, flood or fire. You will, however, still be required to complete a claim form in accordance with the procedures above, at the first opportunity. If you have any questions, please call the Insurance Team on 01772 897 292 or email insurance.help@placesforpeople.co.uk. In some cases, we’ll need to inspect the damage. We will let you know if this is this case.